Similar to shortbread biscuits but with a honeyed twist, these biscuits and a delicious treat any time of the day!
Makes 20 biscuits.
For the Cookies:
- 113g softened butter (room temperature)
- 30g powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 22g honey
- 140g all-purpose flour (or cake flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Glaze:
- 90g powdered sugar (sifted)
- 15ml milk
- 7g honey
Making the Dough:
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and light.
- Mix in egg yolk, vanilla extract, and honey until combined.
- Sift in flour and salt, then mix to form a soft dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Divide the chilled dough into 2 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a 4-inch (10cm) long cylinder, about 1 inch (3cm) thick.
- Wrap the cylinder-shaped dough in plastic.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes or freeze for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 356°F (180°C) or 160°C with a fan.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Remove the chilled dough from the freezer or fridge and unwrap.
- Slice into 0.4-inch (1cm) thick disks and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Optional: If the slices become too soft while cutting, refrigerate for 10 minutes to prevent spreading.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden.
- Let the baked cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes to firm up.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Making the Glaze:
- In a bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, honey, and milk until thick and smooth.
- Spread the glaze evenly over the cooled cookies using a spatula or a piping bag without a nozzle.
- Allow the glaze to dry and set for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the glaze is dry and set, store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.